Infant passing watery stools. Is this normal?

My daughter is 7.5 months old, since last few days she is passing motions for 5 to 6 times a day. Some motions are normal & some are watery. Is this normal?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 17 hours later

Any recent change in frequency and consistency of stools is not normal. Often at this age, addition of top milk and feeds or starting them afresh makes gut respond erratically with motions.
Also if its in India and monsoon, various types of infections, waterborne diseases include infective diarrhea or dysentery may be possible.
Most often some water contamination, putting finger or cloth in mouth or some new food or bottle all are likely to act via infection than food allergy.

Watery motions suggest hurried gut motility with increased water production by gut; does have a danger of dehydration. You may read details at WWW.WWWW.WW
Often water quantity is less, stools may be loose yellow, like in your case; one needs to observe for 3-4 days; as you have already done that and its persistent, one may need stool test for
1. bacteria
2. giardia
3. pH and reducing substances.

Introducing curds/probiotics in diet often helps one make stools getting formed.
Infections do need specific medicines; sometimes antibiotics.

I hope this makes you understand the situation and get appropriate tests done to visit a doctor.
Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Infant passing watery stools. Is this normal? 9 hours later
Thank you sir for your advice

Reason i asked if normal was because i havent noticed her crying for stomach pain etc...parents & relatives say, its normal at this time as she might start getting tooth soon .Is it normal to have watery stools during the growth of tooth? Also that her motion is not watery always but varying . But yes the number of times she passes stool has increased suddenly.

However i shall also get a test done as per your advice.
Also need your advice on the diet/ food for my daughter. To be precise on the age my daughter completes 8 months on the 6th of Aug. She is prematured at 7.5 months.

Below is the current food chart followed.
Since i am a working women i feed her with breast milk for 3-4 times a day. For breakfast i give her some fresh fruit extract or ready fruit powder mixed with water/ milk. In lunch cerelac & dinner mixed/multi grain powder with water/ milk. Some water in between.

Is this ok? Or any diet / food advice from your end. Pl suggest
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 52 minutes later
here are answers for your concern:
.Is it normal to have watery stools during the growth of tooth?
not always, but irritation of tooth bed and gums makes kids put many things in mouth and that carry infection.

Also that her motion is not watery always but varying . But yes the number of times she passes stool has increased suddenly.
=== often this may need treatment.

current diet you are giving is ok. you may think of adding more homebased preparations with rice flour. Add variety with thick tomato soup,palak soup etc

thank you