Infant passing semi solid yellow coloured stools. Stool test done. What are the findings?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
My daughter who is 2 months old is passing semi solid yellow coloured stools every 2hrs for the past two days.She is 25% on breast milk and remaining infant formula feed.we are giving colicaid drops.the stool test results is given below.Kindly help us to interpret the data.
STOOL COMPLETE ANALYSIS Specimen-Stool
Name : XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Age[year(s)] / Sex : 2 Month(s) / Female
Reg No : MHB0000 Referedy By : Referral Doctor
Episode No : R0000
TEST RESULT UNITS REFERENCE
Manipal Health Systems Your IP Address: 172.22.5.128 Page 1 of 1
Macroscopic Description
Colour YELLOW
Consistency Semi Liquid
Blood Absent
Mucus Present
Occult Blood NEGATIVE
Reducing substance Present
pH 6
Microscopic Description
Ova Absent
Cyst Absent
Fat Globules Present
WBC/Pus Cells 1-2 /hpf
Red Blood Cells NIL
_____________________________________________________________________________
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Good morning!

I have a few questions to ask in the beginning.

This type of stools. -Since how long and how often per day?

Has the baby been gaining weight well? Pl indicate birth weight and present weight.

Did she ever have loose stools before?

What formula you are using?

Reg the present condition,
Normally breast fed babies pass yellow,semi soft stools 5-6 times per day which looks like scrambled egg and is normal.
Once the formula is introduced ,the stools change in colour and consistency.

Reg the stool examination.

Mucus is present ..this is abnormal but can also happen when baby has cold

Reducing substance is positive - I am surprised that they found reducing substance in semisoft stool.
This suggests some amount of lactose intolerance but this test has to be confirmed first in another lab when baby is on normal food.

I suggest you repeat the test in another lab
Microscopy is OK and fat globules few also accepted( also colic aid contains dill oil and fennel oil though in small amount)

On the whole, My suggestion is to continue same milk and repeat the stool test and then decide about changing the milk.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Infant passing semi solid yellow coloured stools. Stool test done. What are the findings? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,
My daughters are preterm twins born 33 Wks DOB Nov 24th 2012 each weighed 2.5 kgs.
1. They were on breastmilk and pre-NAN till they attained 3 Kgs and the stool was solid.
2.From XXXXXXX 14 ,2013 we changed to pro-NAN 1 .Their motion was still solid (1- 2 times a day).Now their weights are 3.8 kg and 3.6 kgs.
3. The change in frequency and the consistency was noticed for the past two days and the stool is semi solid now (5-6 times a day).
4.This was started after a fresh pack of pro-NAN. We discontinued that pack and changed over to another pack still the motion is same.
5. Babies have slight nose block and mucus present in the nose some times.We are using Nasivion.
6. We will repeat the test in another LAB.

Thank you doctor.

We are expecting your reply.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 44 minutes later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for the clear details!

As long as stools are not watery, do not change milk now.

Give 1 oz of electrobion after each stool if it becomes watery.

Feeds are OK - pre Nan followed by Nan.

Be careful with the water used for dilution of formula, sterile procedures and hand hygiene of the care takers.

Rpt the test after a few days ( after cold subsides and provided stools are not watery) and let me know the result. The point of concern is the positive reducing substance in the stool which I think may be wrong hopefully.
If it comes positive again we have to give lactose free formula.

Dr Uma

Follow-up: Infant passing semi solid yellow coloured stools. Stool test done. What are the findings? 13 hours later
Dear Doctor ,
Thank you very much for the quick reply, as per your advice i have taken the stool of my daughter to another LAB and this time the result is as follows

Consitency : Semi-Loose
Colour : yellowish
Mucus : Present
Blood :NIL
pH : Acedic
Reducing Subtances :NIL
pus cell :4-6
RBC : NIL
OVA /CYST : NOT FOUND
BACTERIA PRESENT ( ++)

THANK YOU DOCTOR

WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 9 hours later
Hello, Mr XXXXXXX
Great! I am more concerned about the reducing substance in the stool which has come negative this time.
The mucus and few bacteria suggest mild infection and nothing to worry.

No need for antibiotics
Just watch the child.
Is the cold subsiding?

As I said earlier,if the stools become watery,give electrobion powder dissolved in water.

God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Infant passing semi solid yellow coloured stools. Stool test done. What are the findings? 11 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you very much for the valuable and timely consultation and your advice and proper direction.We will continue to monitor our babies and get back to you in case of any new development.

Thank you,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Hi ,

All the best for your twins!

you are welcome to ask me your doubts.

I wish you all good health and happines.!!

God bless
Dr Uma