Infant passing green color motion. Is it normal?

Feb 2013

My daughter is 54 days old. For the past 2 days, she is passing motion in green colour. Is this normal??? Anything to be done to prevent this???
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Variation in stool color is normal.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Color variation of stool in infants is normal. And this variation may be from yellow to dark green.

Green color stool is normal if it is not associated watery, foul smelling, mucus, or blood.

Observe for the following:

1. Frequent, watery stools

2. Foul smelling stools with mucus or blood

If you find any above abnormal stool findings, consult the pediatrician for advise.

And just a green color stool is not an abnormal thing in kids around this age.

Give exclusive breast feeds to the child till the age of 6 months. In exclusively breastfed babies, gut infections are rare.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.