Infant of 10 days passes frequent stools. Econorm dosage?

Question
what is the dosage of econorm XXXXXXX in a baby of 10 days. Is it safe or not. My baby is passing stools more than 10 times in a day. And each time when she gives pressure on her stomach or urinate some quantity stool comes out.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
thanks for the query,

I understand how you feel and the need of doing something to your baby.
Well self medication in new-borns is limited because children, neonates in particular are highly vulnerable.

Your baby is passing out frequent stool; that could be due to different causes and the right diagnosis is imperative less the child will become dehydrated which will be a terrible thing.

First things to do is to improve on the hygiene especially if the child is on artificial milk. If the child is breast feeding, then you need to get the nipples cleaned each time before breastfeeding. If the baby is on artificial milk, milk should not be prepared and kept; the required amount is prepared at the time needed and if more is needed, it should be prepared then. More so, proper handling of feeding bottles is essential and each time after feeding the baby, the bottles should be clean with hot water and allowed in a separate container that is reserved for the baby.

Frequent stools migh be an indication of artificial milk intolerance or an infection. These, your pediatrician can better review and it will be important to XXXXXXX him/her.

Meanwhile, you should increase breastfeeding to prevent dehydration of the baby. if you are using artificial milk, you improve on hygiene if you think it might be related to hygiene or better still XXXXXXX your pediatrician for a change in the milk in case of milk intolerance.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards

Follow-up: Infant of 10 days passes frequent stools. Econorm dosage? 37 minutes later
Doctor, you did not reply about the safety of econorm sachets 250 mg(saccramyses boulardii) in a baby of 10 days. Baby is completely on breast feeding.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 19 minutes later
thanks once more for the query.

thought it wasn't useful commenting on econorm as i am strongly of the favor you visit a pediatrician fro at least a review so you could be re-assured after the baby is examined.

Well econorm is contains the active ingredient saccharomyces boulardii which is a non pathogenic yeast widely used in the treatment of acute diarrhea. However, it is not reccomended for children less than 2 years and thus it will not be good for your baby.

Some frequent stools in new borns is normal but it usually is not associated with fever nor with weight loss nor repeated vomiting nor abundant stools during each motion. The appearance of any of such symptoms indicate an abnormal situation and prompt consultation is needed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards

Follow-up: Infant of 10 days passes frequent stools. Econorm dosage? 2 days later
I asked the safety of econorm only because, the doctor whom I consulted for my baby, has prescribed econorm sachets half BD. Is Enterogermina vial safe or not. I can not rely on every doctor, because sometimes doctors are also wrong.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 9 hours later
thanks once more for the query,

You are right, Doctors can be wrong at times which could be XXXXXXX

Enterogermina is a probiotic agent and it is safe for use in adults, children and infants (above 1 month old). However, some doctors have effectively used Enterogermina and econorm in neonates ( less than 30 days old). However, limited clinical information is available on these.

I was hoping you will mention on the frequency of stools, the abundance, duration and if the weight of the child is improving or reducing.

Best regards