Infant not gaining weight. Blood work showing low neutrophil and high lymph. What does it mean?

Question
Hi my six month old baby has a poor weight gain except that she is happy strong and active kid no recent infection or any health problem symptoms but her ped. Suggest a blood work for knowing any reason she won't gain weight as expected and her result come back with 6% of neutrophil and 87% of lymph and the range low and high respectively, I am so worried I don't know what it mean there are a lot of things written on the Internet I don't know which to believe I need help plse,
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need to know few other things so that I can ans

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.
I can understand your concern.
I need to know few other things so that I can answer your query.
What is the present weight of your baby?
What is the birth weight?
Is she having any fever?
What do the growth charts say? Is the weight gain curve normal or not?
Is your baby breast fed?
Did any Pediatrician examine your baby? If so what are the examination findings?
Please reply in detail so that I can answer your query better.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Follow-up: Infant not gaining weight. Blood work showing low neutrophil and high lymph. What does it mean? 14 minutes later
What kind of thing you would like to know

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I mentioned all the queries in detail.

Detailed Answer:
Please give answers for the under mentioned queries.
What is the birth weight?
Is she having any fever?
Is your baby breast fed?
Please reply in detail so that I can answer your query better

Follow-up: Infant not gaining weight. Blood work showing low neutrophil and high lymph. What does it mean? 5 minutes later
Sorry I didn't see the bottom questions her current weight is 12.45 she was born 5.9 She doesn't have any fever except when she got her shot last week I breastfed her exclusively and her gRowth chart is at the lower side of the curve and her ped says we will do her blood work again after three weeks but I can't wait till then I am so worried

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She doubled her weight

Detailed Answer:

Normally a new born baby doubles her weight in 5 to 6 months. She is born around 5th percentile and continuing her growth around that line. If your baby is otherwise normal then you need not worry about that.
Congratulations for breast feeding your baby.
Continue to breast feed your baby.

A baby should be exclusively breast fed till 6 months of age. Breast feeding is important as this contains the right things required for the baby in right proportions at the right time. It is ideal for brain growth. Breast milk prevents various infections like loose motions, respiratory infections, etc.

So give exclusive breast feeding for your baby till 6 months and continue to breast feed your baby till 2 years of age.
There is a small difference in weight gain of exclusively breast fed babies compared to formula fed babies. The curves of exclusively breast fed babies may be lower.
The normal lymphocyte count of 4 to 8 month old varies between 45-79.
If the lymphocyte count remains high on repeat examination then further investigations may be required.
\Most common cause of lymphocytosis is a acute viral infection. Since your baby is normal and playful do not worry about that. Simple repetition of the investigation after a few days as advised by your doctor will be the correct step.

Hope this helps.

What about the neutrophil it is 6 the ped said it should be between 10-35%

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes he is right.

Detailed Answer:

Your Pediatrician correctly said that. Viral infections can cause a reduction of that count and repetition as advised by you paediatrician would be the correct approach.
Hope I answered your query.

Follow-up: Infant not gaining weight. Blood work showing low neutrophil and high lymph. What does it mean? 10 minutes later
The ped said also it is transient binery some thing like that are you familiar this term she said she might grow her count when she grow up is it possible?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
May be your Pediatrician said it was a transient phenomenon. There are several causes of neutropenia. First we will have to confirm that by repetition of the test after a time lag (in a baby who is other wise normal. This status must have been confirmed by your paediatrician on examination of your baby). This will rule out the most common cause of such blood picture(which is a viral infection). If on repeat investigation there is abnormal blood picture further investigations will be required.

Follow-up: Infant not gaining weight. Blood work showing low neutrophil and high lymph. What does it mean? 4 minutes later
Thank you so much you have been helpfull

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:

You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........
WWW.WWWW.WW
In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries regarding your kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics