Infant not breast feeding. Tried cow's milk but have digestion problems. Can lactogen be given without side effect?

My baby boy has completed 2 months but he is not taking breast milk. We have tried every possible way but no result. Kindly suggest alternate. We are giving toned cow milk but I think due to which some stomach problem is also happening with digestion problem. Now we are thinking to feed lactogen but some says that as lactogent is sweet in taste in future it will increase the chances of diabetes. Plz suggest best alternative.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later
XXXXXXX first of congratulations to the new parents.

There are various reasons for baby not taking breast milk.

1. Maternal Problmes: Poor Supply: lack of proper training to mother, faulty technique, poor motivation on part of mother, some problem with nipple etc.

2. Baby not sucking properly, may be due to weak baby, some issues immediately after birth etc.

Please discuss with your doctor gynaecologist and paediatrician both, who can definitely help you in this.

Now coming to your answer:

Best option is expressed mother milk. If mother can produce milk, this the best way. You can express mother milk by breast pump and then feed this to baby. You can store this milk in refrigerator for about 2 hours and give it with spoon. This is preferred also.

The cow milk is good. Do not give loose milk, it has to be pasteurized. Add sugar to taste in it.

You can also give various infant formulas like lactogen available in market. Just prepare them as per the instruction given. Sugar is absolutely not a problem.

Giving sugar can not lead to diabetes.

Make sure you do not use bottle to feed the baby, it has to be by spoon only.

Please make sure he grows well and his weight increases at least 300-400 grams per month. This is indicator of normal growth.

I think there no permanent issues in breast feeding, you should keep trying. Because once she stops feeding the child, the milk production will stop.

I hope this helps.

Wishing him good health.

Follow-up: Infant not breast feeding. Tried cow's milk but have digestion problems. Can lactogen be given without side effect? 16 hours later
what about goat milk? can we feed goat milk? what are the merits and demerits of it?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

Yes, goat milk can also be given.

Still the first choice remains cow milk. The reasons being ease of availability.

Normally goat milk is advised in infants who can not tolerate cow’s milk and having allergy to it.

Goat milk is almost equal in all aspects except having fewer amounts of allergic proteins.

Still I would stick to my advice given earlier, breast milk is best for baby and expressed mother milk is best option and you should try for that.

Again, all this top feeding milks are deficient some vitamins, so please discuss this with your doctor and give some supplementation also.