Infant keeps touching tongue and has thick yellowish nail on foot. Should I be worried?

Feb 2013

Hi my 22 month baby keeps on touching her tongue and tries to get something of it ? I XXXXXXX t understand what s going on? And also another question I noticed on one of her foot nails there s a thick yellowish nail and the other nails are ok?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
In early child hood, the children will explore everything in relation to their oral cavity and tongue.
They assess the toys, sizes, and consistency by keeping fingers and hands into the mouth and manipulating with the tongue.
This may be the cause in your child to touch the tongue and trying to get something.
The thick yellow nail may be due to an injury in the past or an underlying fungal infection or due to repeated trauma.
In your next visit with your Pediatrician, show this yellow nail so that he will examine and tell the exact problem and advise the proper treatment if required.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.