Infant keeps touching tongue and has thick yellowish nail on foot. Safe to continue iron supplement?

Feb 2013

Hi my daughter keeps on touching her tongue and she looks bothered .. She tries to take things of it but she doesn't t take ang out., and another question she has a foot nail that s thick and yellowish a bit? Why
One more question her hemoglobin is 9.5 she d been on iron supplement 1mg twice a day sine XXXXXXX but her hemoglobin only increased to 9.8 ? I m worried should I keep on giving her iron for that long?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
In toddler age group, children explore the objects, their hands by their oral cavity and tongue.
They assess the toys, sizes, contours, and consistency by keeping everything into their mouth and touching the tongue with fingers.
This may be the cause in your child.
Another possibility may be supplementation of iron syrup. As with iron supplements there will be some metallic taste on the tongue which is a strange and somewhat irritating feeling for them and may be trying to remove it.
The thick and yellow nail may be due to an injury in the past, or a local fungal infection of nail and it should be examined in your next visit with your Pediatrician.
Usually in children with thalassemia, hemoglobin should be maintained above 9.5g/dL.
Don't increase the iron supplement for longer duration without your doctor advise as it may lead to iron deposition in tissues in children with thalassemia.
Hope I have answered your queries, if you have any clarification please let me know.