Infant is passing stool after drinking milk or eating fruit. Suggest medicine for relief?

Hi Doctor, my kid is 4 months old and he is passing stool after 1 hour of drinking milk or eating fruits each time. Please can you suggest us a medicine so some relief.

Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Sharma 17 hours later
Thanks for placing your query here.
I can appreciate your concerns.
Passing stools soon after eating or drinking is a common & normal phenomenon (gastro-colic reflex) in young kids .
In the same way finding tiny pieces of undigested food material is also normal in this age group.
If the boy is thriving (gaining weight) & active and the stools do not contain blood, you should not worry.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Best regards.
Follow-up: Infant is passing stool after drinking milk or eating fruit. Suggest medicine for relief? 24 minutes later
Actually my kid passes stool twice a day. However, since yesterday he is passing stool 6 times a day. I think there is some infection in the stomach because the stool is sticky.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Sharma 21 minutes later
If the stools are loose and frequency is increased , the boy most likely has caught viral infection of the gut.
It is very common condition and generally lasts less than a week.
Please make sure he is drinking enough milk and ORS .
Ask your doctor to prescribe probiotics and zinc to hasten recovery.
I am always ready for any further question.