Infant is not responding to noise. Should I be worried for hearing problem?

ENT Specialist
I feel that my 15 months old child has hearing problem. Whenever we make any noise or call him from behind, he does not respond to it. What steps should we take further to get this rectified?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later

Thank you for posting the query

It is good that you have recognised the hearing disability in your child in an early stage.

My suggestions to you are:

1. Go to a good ENT specialist who is specialized in cochlear implants and get your child examined. If he finds that your child is having hearing disability, he may advise you to get an otoacoustic emission test done to check whether the auditory nerves are functioning properly or not. This is further supported by another investigation known as brain stem evoked response audiometry (BERA).

2. Once the above tests are done and found that there is a hearing disability and poor nerve function, then further investigations such as MRI and High resolution CTscan of the temporal bone is done to find out any anatomical abnormalities.

3. Depending upon the results of the above investigations further line of management will be planned.

4. Do not heed to those people who say 'the child will improve later, and not to get investigations done'. This will make the child handicapped for the entire life. Act fast, consult a doctor at the earliest. The sooner you get evaluated the better the chances of hearing for your child.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon