Infant is having rash Milia on face. What's the treatment of this Milia?

Hi Doctor,
I'mXXXXXX from Agra, India. My Sister given birth a daughter, Her daugher is fine only the one problem her daughter has rash(Milia) on her face. What's the treatment of this Milia?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through the medicines and image uploaded by you.

Milia are common finding in newborns and they subside on their own.

There is no exact medicine to cure milia. Ideal treatment is extraction by dermatologist.In my opinion you should not use flutivate E cream as it is too strong steroid for baby of 23 days.You can use desowen cream or eumosone cream.

There is no need of vitamin syrup to baby of such age. Please stop the vitamin syrup neonate should be given only mothers milk and nothing else.

Milia will reduce slowly on their own in a week or so.

Till the time you can use desowen cream and dermocalm lotion.

If there is no fever or other complaints you can wait for spontaneous regression of milia.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Infant is having rash Milia on face. What's the treatment of this Milia? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor.. I'll buy & use desowen cream and dermocalm lotion.

I want to tell that baby's father had also this milia at born time & he recovered from it after a long time in the age of 10 year old.. can It be genetic?

& the cream's that you prescribed how should we use it 2 times or in morning/evening?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 43 hours later
Hi again,

Extensive milia can be genetic.Even though genetic, they are not harmful and subside on their own.

Dermocalm lotion should be applied in the morning and Desowen cream in the evening.