Infant is having fever. Given tylenol. Prescribed amoxicillin for ear infection. Red bumps appeared on face

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hello, my daughter (13 months old) had a fever Fri night and I gave her Tylenol and it went away. Then Sat I took her to the doctor and he said she had an ear infection and prescribed amoxicillin. I gave it to her yesterday with Ibuprofen and she appeared to be better. And this morning i gave it to her again. Before i took her to the Doctor she had tiny red bumps on her face that were hardly noticeable but now have increased in size and spread a little more and a little on her back. What is this? I gave her Benadryl last night to see if they went away but they didnt. Should I be worried?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 20 minutes later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.
Rashes on face and neck could be part of infection or a side effect of drugs. Especially ibuprofen is more notorious to cause rash. It’s preferable to give tylenol which is much safer. You can apply calamine lotion to the rashes, which will soothen her skin. If it is part of infection, it will improve in one or two days.

Inspite of all these efforts if it still persists, just show it to your doctor. Let him confirm that it’s not much to worry about. Also amoxicillin can result in rash. He can change antibiotic if needed.
For the moment, you need not worry. Just try tylenol, calamine lotion and see if it persists. Then get a doctor's opinion.
He will be all right soon. If you have any more queries, I am happy to answer or else kindly close the query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD
Assistant professor, Pediatrics

Follow-up: Infant is having fever. Given tylenol. Prescribed amoxicillin for ear infection. Red bumps appeared on face 1 hour later
Thank you very much! You have calmed my heart!

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 7 minutes later
I am happy that the information was useful to you. Feel free to ask any queries regarding your daughter's health.

But please close this query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD
Assistant professor, Pediatrics