Infant is getting rashes only on legs, which swells sometimes. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My Kid who is 15 months old is getting rashes only on the legs, sometmes the rashes swell. Please suggest the required medication.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calamine lotion

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The common causes for rashes on legs is due to some allergic skin reactions, dry skin, or mosquito bites. Clinically allergic skin reactions presents with rash with swelling known as urticaria. Whereas mosquito bites present with associated skin reaction with small papules around the bite. The both rashes are associated with intense itching with an urge to scratch. Therefore a picture of the affected lesion can help me isolate the cause.

For rash, you can apply a calamine containing lotion such as Markal or Dermadew Caloe externally over the rash for soothing effect on skin. You can apply twice or thrice daily. If there is itching and scratching, I usually suggest oral antihistamine like Hydroxyzine 8th hourly in prescribed dose.

In addition to the above, I also recommend the following:
1. If there are mosquitoes in the surrounding area protect the child from bites by covering him with full clothes and by using repellents.
2. If his legs are dry, maintain his skin hydration by applying moisturizer lotions twice or thrice daily.
3. Observe for any type of allergen like clothing, food, and pollen and if you find any association of rash with anything, try to avoid the exposure to it.

And physical examination will give the clue to the cause for the rash and will aid in giving specific treatment. If possible kindly upload the picture of rash on the legs. You can use the site's uploader to upload pictures.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.