Infant having loose motion. Stool test done. What medication and diet should be given?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 9 month old baby had loose motion ( 4-5 times a day ) for last 4-5 days. The stool is mix of greenish water and solid which looks like mucus. It is smellier than before. She does not have fever and does not appear to have pain. She passes stoll when she bloats with sound.The stool report says the colur is sl.greenish brown, semi digested, acidic and there are 0-3/hpf pus cells.She is being fed on formula powder(Naan). What medicine and food can be given to her? Should water be given separately?
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
You have not mentioned the microscopy results of the stool-any parasites found?
When there is no fever and with this stool result, there is no need for antibiotics.
You give her the same Nan milk along with oral electrolytes 1-2 ozs after every stool.
The electrolytes are available in sachets to be mixed with clean boiled water and used as above.
Regarding other food, you can give her rice baced cereal like cerelac,or mashed rice with yoghurt(if you have already given them before).
Watch for 2-3 days
Watch whether urine output is OK- this is to watch out for dehydration.
All the best
Good luck and God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Infant having loose motion. Stool test done. What medication and diet should be given? 38 minutes later
Charcot-Leyden Crystals, R.B.C, Macrophages, Protozoal Parasites, Helminthic Ova etc are all NiL. Are the oral electrolytes same as adults? Or Is there anything specific for children? Is there any need to give any medication? Any reason for the illness?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 13 minutes later
Good, microscopy is normal and nothing to worry.
This infection may be mostly viral.
The oral electrolytes (electrobion or electral) can be used .
Generally no other medicine required!
If there is no improvement in 2-3 days go to the doctor again.
All the best
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Infant having loose motion. Stool test done. What medication and diet should be given? 16 hours later
Thanks. Her loose motion has stopped, but her stool is hard and real black in colour. Is there something to worry here? Could it be because of some wound in the intestine?( intestinal bleeding ) or dehydration? What should I do now? Should I just continue with the Nan and electral & Cerelac ? Or can I give her the normal food?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 19 minutes later
Yes, continue the same diet for another 2-3 days.
Then restart other food items one by one.
If stools ate normal stop electral.
Black stools may be from iron content in food.
Are you giving NAN 2?
I do not think it is intestinal bleed!
Wait and watch.
Dr Uma