Infant having little congestion and cough. Suggest some effective medicine

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
Hi .. my daughter is 4 months now .. she is having little congestion and cough .. kindly advise about Maxtra ..
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, Maxtra contains phenylephrine. It is a decongestant. it is a very good drug. But, it should be avoided in children below 2 years of age.

If she has nasal congestion, it is better to give her saline solution as nasal drop. it is harmless.

For cough, you should visit a pediatrician for clinical examination and for prescribing amoxicilin group of antibiotics if required, and also for prescribing a cough syrup suitable for her. I am telling you because, here, i cannot give you a prescription without which you cannot buy a cough syrup from the medicine store.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant having little congestion and cough. Suggest some effective medicine 1 hour later
Thank You so much Dr. XXXXXXX .. I am using saline solution for her, and temporarily it helps .. but it the chest congestion that is troubling her a lot and worrying me as well for her ..

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

For chest congestion, cough do not use this maxtra or like that things. Just consult with a pediatrician for clinical examination to assess the severity and for prescribing a good antibiotic if needed and for further management accordingly.

Regards.