Infant having green loose motions, given nutrolyn, zerolac and colicaid but no relief. Suggest?

Hello doctor,

my baby girl who is 6.5 months old now is having loose motions from last 10 days.
she is passing loose,foamy green motions frequently in little quantities but she is active and playing well.
Her diet plan is as follows:
i am a working women who feeds breast milk till 9:30 AM and after 7:00 PM. in between my mother feeds her RAGI MALT or all grains protein mix once in a day and lactogen formula once.

6 days back we visited nearby hospital here and got some medicines for her which are as follows:
1.Nutrolyn B Syp 60 ml
2.Zerolac powder 200 gm
3.Colicaid drops 15 ml
4. Siloderm cream 20 gm

she did not recover even after taking above medicines, hence i am worried. please advise ASAP.

Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

First of all congratulations for breast feeding your baby.
Continue to breast feed your baby till your baby is 2 year old.

I can understand your concern for the prolonged problem your baby is having. Some times it takes a little longer for the loose stools to subside. Do not worry about that.

If your baby is having large watery stool then monitor for signs of dehydration.
They include
1. Decreased skin turgor
2. Increasing thirst.
3. Sunken eyes.
4. Irritability.
5. Drowsiness.
6. Decreasing passage of urine.
Oral rehydration solution or any other solution containing salt and sugar should be given. (In case of watery stool. Since your baby is having small stool you need not worry about that.)

If there is any blood or mucus in the stool we think of bacterial infection and start on antibiotics. Since your baby is not having any of these it should be a viral infection. Please consult your doctor if there is blood or mucus in the stool with fever for a course of antibiotic.

Green color of the stool indicates increased bowel motility. Do not worry about that.

Your doctor has already prescribed a probiotic. Syrup Zinc as prescribed by your doctor may help.

Please be gentle in cleaning the perianal region as excoriation of skin may occur.

Continue to breast feed your baby.

So as I already said some times diarrhea takes a little longer. You should wait and watch even though it is difficult.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics