Infant having green colour stool. Breast fed and formula fed. Discomfort while passing stool. Suggest the cure?

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor,

My kid is 4.5 months old. From about a week her pop / stool colour has become green.

She is both breast fed and formula fed. And her stool is smelly and also has gas and the frequency is once or twice a day. She does not constipate but now a days she feels little discomfort while stooling.

Otherwise she is in good health.

Not visited a doctor yet for this issue. Earlier doctor prescribed Colic Aid and Neopeptine for general stomach and digestion ailments like gas and stiff stomach.

Please suggest what should we do now.

Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stool color variation is normal in infants

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In infants stool color may vary from yellow to green and this variation is normal if it is not associated with loose stools, frequent watery stools, blood, or mucus in the stool.

As your child stool is not loose and frequent, nothing to worry and it looks normal stools.

For gas and smelly stools, you can give oral Neopeptine drops as prescribed by your pediatrician.

And take strict hygienic precautions while preparing, handling, and feeding the formula milk to the child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.