Infant having frequent motion, congested breath and blocked nose. Given rinifol. Any solution?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
Hi, I am travelling and little concerned with the health of my little one. Baby have been passing motions 10_12 times during the day. Recently we took him to the doctor and the doctor prescribed "Rinifol". It didn't help much then we took him to other doctor and the doctor advised of some infection and prescribed norfloxacin suspension. I was not very confortable about giving norfloxacin but had no other choice We have given 3 doses of same to baby and today we noticed congested breathing and blocked nose ..baby is making sound while breathing also has developed a bit of breathing. i am using nano clear for same but when talked to the doctor he has advised of "Sinarest AF". Nt sure what to do. Would appreciate some good advise please.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
Considering the details provided your baby is suffering from infection most probably viral less likely though possible bacterial .
Now most of the viral infections resolve on its own in a week or two but since your baby has persistent symptoms and now cold and congestion I would recommend the following ,
1. Norfloxacin is not to be given to such young infants unless other medications have failed.
2. Nasoclear or any baby nose drops ( nasivion etc) can be put to relieve congestion every 4-6 hours.
3. Sinarest AF as per prescribed dose twice to thrice daily can be given if breathing difficulty persists despite nose drops .
4. Breastfeeding should be given adequately infact on demand or frequently to maintain good hydration .
4. Zinc and multivitamin drops ( Z&D , Zincovit etc can be given for faster recovery from colds as well as diarrhoea .
5. If loose stools are persistent safer antibiotics like Cefixime or Colistin can be given as per doctors advise
6. Probiotics like enterogermina or nutrolin b can be given as an alternative to Rinifol or the same can be continued.
Kindly consult a pediatrician and discuss the above so that appropriate treatment can be prescribed . If its not feasible due to travel then the previous treatment can be continued ( except norfloxacin ) and sinarest AF can be given for the congestion.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Infant having frequent motion, congested breath and blocked nose. Given rinifol. Any solution? 32 minutes later
Thank you very much doc for the advise and lovely wishes... Just have few follow up queries.

1) 5. If loose stools are persistent safer antibiotics like Cefixime or Colistin can be given as per doctors advise
Correct me if I am wrong. I was asking about this and heard that the above can indeed cause loose motions.
Also if I have to start it then would it matter with the fact that norfloxacin has been give for three doses ..
2) Zinc and multivitamin drops ( Z&D , Zincovit etc can be given for faster recovery from colds as well as diarrhoea _
How many times this can be given
3) norfloxacin - as I mentioned I wasn't comfortable even to give same. Could I ask one thing. The reason for not to give same. It is prescribed by a family doctor and he advised that it is okay to give but when I read it on Internet it wasn't recommended .. What's he actual reason behind same.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 15 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up
Answer1. Yes all antibiotics ( Cefixime or amoxicillin ) etc also kill the good gut bacteria ( normal gut flora) and hence can cause diarrhoea but if the child has bacterial gastroenteritis then Colistin or Cefixime is usually prescribed and it's seen to resolve the diarrhoea in such cases. However probiotics and zinc should be given along with antibiotics . Ideally you should start antibiotics without consulting your pediatrician and since already norfloxacin has been given for three days I would recommend you first get a stool routine and culture test done which will confirm the diagnosis . If the test is positive for bacterial infection only then your doctor might advise a new antibiotic ( depending on the test result)
Answer 2. Any brand of zinc can be given .Zinc 20 mg / day can be given as two divided doses twelve hour apart ( ie drops 0.5 ml twice or syrup 2.5 ml twice )
Answer 3. Norfloxacin is usually contraindicated in minor infections in children as it can cause harmful sideeffects on the growing bones and cartilage of children . In dire situations depending on severity and resistant infections some doctors do prescribe other fluoroquinolones like ofloxacin or even norfloxacin . But it's usually avoided in children.
So please do not worry and do consult your pediatrician for the investigations and prescription.
Hope I have answered your query.