Infant having fever and stomach infection. How to bring down the fever?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello Doctor. My Son is 18 months old and showing following symptoms -

1. High temperature in Head, and area arround stomach
2. Legs and hands are normal; as per earlier observation he may gain high fever in these areas as well if fever persists till late evening

Also he had stomach infections in past (2-3 times). At the moment, his stool, urination is ok. Drinking water properly. Food intake is normal. Please advice.

regards XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 43 minutes later

Normally in infants and young children the temperature of head and trunk is more than that of extremities. It is considered as fever only if a 3 minute axillary (armpit) temperature recording is more than 99 F persistently. So if possible record his temperature in the axilla (armpit) using a clinical thermometer.
If you are not able to record his temperature, you should watch for other symptoms associated like dry mouth and tongue, flushed face, lethargy or unexplained crying or irritability, etc. These symptoms are suggestive of an underlying infection. Sometimes viral infections may start with only fever and develop rash or cough or diarrhea after a few days.

So as of now, it doesn't seem worrisome but requires documentation of degree of fever. If recorded temperature is 100 deg F or more then you need to seek medical attention. The doctor will perform a detailed examination and if needed will suggest a few tests like blood counts to confirm the reason of fever. Medications such as acetaminophen are entailed.

Meanwhile the most important thing is to keep the child well hydrated by plenty of water and give nutritious normal diet.

Hope I have answered your query. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my response. Yet, if you have any further doubts, I will be available to help you.