Infant having fever and diarrhoea. Getting new teeth. Given Nutrolin-B syrup and OZ syrup. Again having diarrhoea with fever. Treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 9 year old babay had fever and diherrea from 27-08-2013 , and she is getting new tooth (before(before 27-08-2013) 1 week ago she had diherraea given Nutrolin-B syrup 2.5ml and OZ syrup (oflaxacin&ornidazole suspension after this diherrea(loose motion green coloured) is stopped) this repeted once again with fever please priescribe the medicine
e-mail: YYYY@YYYY ,Tumkur, Karnataka ,India
sorry I given 9 years it is 9 months baby correction please
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probiotic, ORS, and paracetamol can be given.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your 9 months old child seems having another episode of gastroenteritis mostly due to a virus or bacteria.

For fever, I can suggest paracetamol syrup in prescribed dose every 6th or 8th hourly depending on the presence of fever.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain the hydration of the child.

I suggest sips of oral rehydration solutions (ORS) such as Pedialyte to prevent dehydration due to loss of water and electrolytes in loose stools.

Oral probiotic such as Nutrolin-B for 3 to 5 days and oral zinc supplementation for 2 weeks is advised in diarrhea in the prescribed doses.

Monitor the hydration status of the child by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of oral cavity.

And consult the pediatrician for physical examination to assess her hydration status and for prescription of medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant having fever and diarrhoea. Getting new teeth. Given Nutrolin-B syrup and OZ syrup. Again having diarrhoea with fever. Treatment? 19 minutes later
please tell me the dosage of paracetamol ,Zinc supplimentation ,probiotic syrups names and doosage.
9 months old ,female babay.
waiting for your reply

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dosage depends on weight ,give with prescription.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

I suggest the following probiotic, paracetamol, Pedialyte (oral rehydration solution-ORS), and zinc to a 9 months old child with diarrhea.

1. Syrup Crocin (120mg/5ml), 3.5ml can be given every 6th or 8th hourly
depending on the presence of fever. This dose should be adjusted according to
the child body weight.

2.Probiotic like econorm XXXXXXX can be given orally one XXXXXXX once daily after
mixing in water as per the instructions on the XXXXXXX

3.Sips of ORS to be given orally to maintain hydration of the child and good urine
out put.

4.For zinc supplementation I can suggest Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 2 weeks.

And physical assessment by the pediatrician is important to assess the hydration status and general condition of the child.

Hence I advise you to keep on giving ORS to maintain her hydration, paracetamol for fever, and consult the pediatrician for physical assessment and for prescription of above medication.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant having fever and diarrhoea. Getting new teeth. Given Nutrolin-B syrup and OZ syrup. Again having diarrhoea with fever. Treatment? 3 hours later
sir please tell me amount of paracetamole peditric dose per KG , my babay weighs 10Kg ,9months old and Z&D drops content is zincmonohydrate 20mg tell me the dosage.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Paracetamol 15mg/Kg, Zinc 20mg once daily.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

Usually I suggest paracetamol 15mg/Kg per dose. So for 10 kg child it will be 150mg per dose.

Z&D drops, 1ml (20mg) once daily can be suggested for a 9 months old child and it can be given for 2 weeks.

And continue to give sips of oral rehydration solutions to prevent dehydration.

Consult her pediatrician for physical assessment and for the advise on follow up.

Regards.