Infant having enlarged spleen. Will it cause any problems in further growth?

Baby 3 months spleen is enlarged has reflux and is exasperating food.Dr now took 2 exrays nurse is questioning me.
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, what is the specific question? Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what your baby is experiencing right now. I understand it can be so so frustrating for a mother to watch her young loved one go through all this. Did the doctors find any abnormality on these Xrays? An enlarged spleen in a three month child may not be too concerning unless it is associated with other signs and symptoms. This is because baby are generally small and thin and the spleen can be easily palpated but does not necessarily means that it is pathological. However, with other symptoms it may warrant some more investigation and management. Also, reflux in children and vomiting especially after eting is not too uncommon. Babies often tend to exhibit these transient features. If it has no impact on the overall health status of the child, there is no reason to get worried about. Fractionating the feeds of the child in small volumes and increasing the number of times in most cases resolves this problem. However, if the baby is unable to keep anything in the stomach and omits with excessive force, this may raise the suspicion of a blocked stomach outlet called pyloric stenosis. If it is not the case, please stay calm and adjust feeding multiple times in small volumes. If there is any specific question that you would have loved to raise, please let me know. I will gladly address it and provide enough information to relief your doubts. I wish your baby the best of health. I also wish you strength during this time. Dr Ditah, MD