Infant having diarrhoea with fishy smell. What can be done?

Feb 2013

hi my son is 15 weeks old had diarrhea for about 12 days but last night and this morning it smelled like fish
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 40 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

What type of feeding is he receiving now? Is he on exclusive breast feeds or on top feeds? Please let me know this details in your follow up query.

The fishy smelled diarrhea is due to some infection like a virus or a bacteria.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain the hydration of the child.

Give sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte to maintain the hydration of your son.

Monitor his hydration status by his activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of his oral cavity and tongue.

Give frequent breastfeeding to XXXXXXX his thirst.

Stool sample can be given for investigations like routine, microscopy, and for culture and sensitivity to look for the presence of any infection, to know the organism, and its sensitivity.

Probiotics like oral saccharomyces or lactobacillus XXXXXXX will help to decrease the diarrhea by restoring the protective gut flora.

Oral zinc in prescribed dosage will decrease the water content of loose stool.

Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for the examination of the child, to assess his hydration, and for the prescription of medication for diarrhea.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to get back.