Infant having dengue fever. Blood test done. What are the findings and cure to be taken?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my 9 months old baby is having dengue fever. we took blood test. TOTAL WBC COUNT- 4,400 CELLS/CUMM, PLATELET COUNT - 1.50 LAKHS/CUMM, haemoglobin- 12.6 gr/dl, SERUM DENGUE NS1(EARLY ELISA)-59.52 IU/L, SERUM DENGUE IGM CAPTURE (ELISA) - 6.4 IU/L, SERUM DENGUE IGC (ELISA) - 0.9, C.R.P (IMMUNOTURBIDIMETRIC) - 1.4 mg/L. Please tell me about this and wat i have to do.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 49 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

I saw the reports scanned by you.
Cbc- there is leukopenia- low white blood cells .
Neutropenia- low neutrophils. And increased lymphocytes
Just normal platelets
The above 4 are in favour of a viral infection.

Reg dengue tests ,Ns1 is positive though IgM and IgG are still negative.

For dengue there is no specific medicine nor for any viral infection like flu.

You have to carefully observe your child,treat the fever with paracetamol only ( do not use meftal,ibugesic,aspirin etc)
Look for vomiting,,any rash,pain in the eye,black stool,,any bleeding from nose or mouth.,irritability.

As such he may not be in need of admission normally but you have to watch 24*7.
The worry is the baby is very small less than 1 year, and hence better to admit in JIPMER.( I see that you are in Pondi from your IP address)
If you are a working mother,I suggest you take leave and watch the chid.
Dengue is a serious illness but majority do well without complications.
May God be with your child to let it pass without any problems!

You have to repeat CBC and may be dengue IGM again after 48 hrs( strange that IgM is negative!!

The fever will subside after 2-3 days and after a gap of 2-3 days may come again.

In summary I wish you ad it your baby in a well established hospital preferably a medical college hospital.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma