Infant having cold, cough and white sores in mouth. What is the required treatment?

Dec 2012

My 21 month old son has had a cough/cold for several days but seems to be doing much better now, but we found while trying to brush his teeth he has a large white sore on both sides of his mouth - just on the inside, you can't see them until we ask him to open his mouth and they don't seem to be painful but they seem rather big and matching on both sides of the mouth.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 17 minutes later

It would have been lovely if I could set an eye on the white sores.
A bronchitis) is usually associated with white coated patches on the mouth.
Cold sore (viral infection with herpes simplex) even though rare for his age can cause the white sores/patches in the mouth.
Your son's mouth will have to be examined by a pediatrician to rule out possibility of fungi and viral infection.
But I do not think it is something to worry much about. I feel that within a few days it will disappear on its own.
An image update will be useful here.

Best wishes for your son's health.
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Infant having cold, cough and white sores in mouth. What is the required treatment? 40 minutes later
Thanks for answering so quickly - I actually tried taking a picture, about 15 pictures but my squirmy son wasn't having it - since the white sores are right on the inside corners of his mouth I was having a hard time getting him to open up so I could take the picture (my husband was putting our daughter to bed) so perhaps he'll help in the morning and we can get a better picture. I plan on calling our regular pediatrician and asking the nurse but since it was late and I found this site I was eager to see about a response. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Thanks for updating.
Will be looking forward to seeing pictures.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing your son a good health.