Infant having brown scabs on ankles. What could it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi I have noticed that my 3 month old has scabs on his ankles and feet that look like cradle cap.. What could that be?
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like local dry skin or icthyosis. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. The scabs on the child ankles and feet could be due to brown scaly lesions of the superficial skin layers. They usually resemble like scales of cradle cap. This type of scales usually seen in children with extreme dry skin, and skin conditions such a icthyosis. But direct clinical examination of the skin by the doctor is crucial in diagnosing the skin conditions. And if possible kindly upload a clear picture of the skin lesions for better understanding. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for clinical examination and its treatment. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Infant having brown scabs on ankles. What could it be? 3 days later
What can I do to relieve my babys dry skin?!

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Apply moisurizing lotion.Clinical examination Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. I went through the pictures you attached along with this query. The skin lesions look like a local dry skin condition such as icthyosis. But as it is in crease area, eczema has to be ruled out by clinical examination by the pediatrician. For baby's dry skin, I suggest you to apply a moisturizer lotion twice or thrice daily. Apply the moisturizing lotion immediately after bathing to maintain skin hydration and protect the child skin from cold weather. And consult the pediatrician for direct clinical examination to diagnose the skin condition accurately and to prescribe definitive medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.