Infant having a papular rash on the arm radiating to chest. No health problems. Should be concerned?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
At 9 months my son had a pinpoint, papular rash on his right arm in a line running from wrist up the inside of arm and onto upper chest. It was not very red, more skin colored. Did not bother him, was not sick and it lasted about a month. Now he has the same thing on posterior L leg but it is about 2cm wide and runs from ankle up posterior leg and onto buttock. Again not sick and does not bother him. No pustule or vesicles. He is now 15 months. Rash seems to follow a nerve or maybe lymphati system...
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 14 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

The rash as described by you seems to be a liner lesion and can arise due to many reasons. In the absence of associated clinical symptoms and the chance to examine the rash, I am unable to suggest a close possibility. If the lesions are not symptomatic and there are no systemic complaints, it is unlikely to cause any problem.

Also the lesion seems to be a pressure urticaria though the exact diagnosis can only be made on a close examination of the area by a qualified dermatologist.

Though I am unable to specify a cause, I hope this information is reassuring and suffices your needs. Let me know if you need any more information.

Dr.Rohit batra

Follow-up: Infant having a papular rash on the arm radiating to chest. No health problems. Should be concerned? 8 hours later
The rash does not look urticarial. It does not come and go at all, just stays the same. They are very small skin colored papules and seem follow either a nerve or the lymphatic system the whole length of the posterior left leg from ankle to buttock and is 1 cm wide. The first rash ran from his wrist up his inner arm across the axilla to mid chest.
He did have dermatographism for a few weeks also with the first episode on his arm but that resolved. I am a Physician Assistant and I nor my docs have ever seen a rash like this other than shingles in adults however it is not vesicular and does not follow a dermatome plus he has not had chicken pox or the vaccine.....does that clarify how it looks and acts? Any other ideas?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your follow up.

Please send in a photograph of the affected skin lesion for me to opine further. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Infant having a papular rash on the arm radiating to chest. No health problems. Should be concerned? 2 days later
I uploaded a photo. this rash runs from mid buttock to ankle on posterior side. About an inch wide. Been there now about 3 weeks with no change at all.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the photograph.

The lesion might be a lichen striatus, pressure dermatosis. However it is good to confirm with touch.

If so the lesions subside without any medication in a months time. As I understand with its nature and appearance there is no need to worry about these lesions. There is no need to do anything for these for one month. If they do not reduce then only a skin biopsy can reveal the true picture.

Dr. Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Infant having a papular rash on the arm radiating to chest. No health problems. Should be concerned? 11 hours later
Thanks alot, I believe it is Lichen Striatus. Glad to know it is nothing sytemic! Thanks again!

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 12 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
I am glad I could help. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future.

Dr.Rohit Batra