Infant have snoring problem and suffering from sleepless night. What should be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my baby is 3 and a half month old she have snoring problem from birth due to which she is suffering from sleepless night
when i consulted doctor they said that the nostrils of some baby's wil be small and they will not be able to breath properly and this will take minimum 3months to be cured but till date my baby is not able to breath properly. she suffers a lot. what has to be done in this case
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 55 minutes later
Yes it's true that many normal newborns may snore while sleeping .Its seen that newborns often make noises when they breathe because their airways are narrow and full of "bubbly secretions XXXXXXX Snoring occurs when air passes through these secretions, causing the soft tissues of the airway to vibrate. Usually, snoring subsides as the infant's airway grows and he learns to swallow excess saliva.
Occasional snoring in a newborn or infant is common, but chronic snoring in an older baby might signal a more serious problem.Infant snoring may be caused by several factors. Because infants do not breathe through their mouth, if they have any nasal congestion they will tend to snore. Nasal congestion can be caused by allergies or colds. Some studies have shown that if the parents snore the infant is likely to snore as well. This may be related to familial allergies or inherited facial and throat structure.
Sometimes serious problems like sleep apnoea , reflux disease, larynx malformation or enlarged adenoid glands etc may be needed to be ruled out by your doctor.
Considering you have got your baby evaluated by a doctor I assume any significant anomalies have been ruled out by careful examination .
If its only nasal congestion and narrow nostrils you might use Saline nose drops 2 drops in each nostril thrice daily to clear the nasal mucus. Decongestant drops like flucold or chlorpheniramine etc should not be given daily . If you have tried all such measures but had no relief then I would recommend that you should get your baby reevaluated by a ear nose throat( ENT ) specialist to rule out any XXXXXXX obstruction or defect in her airways .
The doctor after examination & tests if required( X-rays ) will confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate management .
Meanwhile just make sure that your baby is well fed , burped adequately and sleeping in a slight propped up position ( head end raised) to ensure good sleep.
Hope I have answered your query.
Feel free to ask any further doubts.
In case you have no further queries kindly accept my answer to close the query.
Wishing your baby good health.
Follow-up: Infant have snoring problem and suffering from sleepless night. What should be done? 2 hours later
Hello doctor,
thanks for the reply
I am using saline nose drops regularly but no use she still feels very congested to breath. sometimes she takes 7 to 10 mins to breath normally. first when i visited a pediatric he said its due to cold and he gave medicine sinarest and mucolite. after a weeks time the snoring did not stop i consulted other docter he said its common. its seems the snoring is gone high now. to much of noise. how long will it take for the growth and is there any medicine to cure that.

and i am a working mother i have started formula feeding i wanted to know how much feed has to be given as of now she is having 150ml 3 times daily i will be joining for work from dec 1st week. is that good or should i reduce. from when can i start solids she is now 3 months 3 weeks old. if its good to start what and all should i give her, how and when?

thanks and regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Answer 1. Usually growth and development related problems should resolve by six months of age.
The curative treatment of snoring will depend on the cause and will vary from oral decongestant to minor surgery . So first and foremost the diagnosis or cause has to be confirmed hence I would recommend an evaluation by a ENT specialist .
Answer 2. Each child's dietary requirement is variable . At this age breast feeding is the best nutrition to the baby and should be exclusively continued till 6 months of age after which solids like cereal , mashed fruit , vegetables etc can be started.
In working mothers if required formula milk can be given in addition to breast milk . So you can continue the present diet till 6 months of age of the baby.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you all the best ,