Infant have cough, giving Wikoryl for cold. Suggest home remedies?

Hi doctor,

My Son is 1.4 months old. He weighs 11kgs. 76cms in Height.
He is having cough since yesterdsay. It is not too much but , occasionaly cough..looks like it is not dry cough and has a litte flum inside.

Can you please suggest a medicine with dosage for him?
I have been giving wikoryl for cold. Can we continue to give all kinds of fruits to him? any speciifc fruit to avoid? Any home remedies as such will be helpful..

Thanks in advance.

Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and observe...

Detailed Answer:
You reported that your son in 1.4 months old. Or is it 1.4 years old?

Occasional cough is not abnormal. It's natures design to remove contents from respiratory tract and that's beneficial. It becomes a concern when cough is persistent, doesn't allow him to sleep/feed, makes him drowsy and inactive or induces fever.

As you haven't reported any such symptoms, I would suggest you to wait and observe. If cough is troubling him, I would start ambroxol drops at a dose of 1ml twice daily and review him if any of the above mentioned complaints appear.

As far as fruits is concerned, presuming he is 1.4 years of age (not 1.4 months), I do not implement specific restriction, since there is no clear cut evidence that a particular fruit can cause problems in all children. In general, reduce amount of banana, pine XXXXXXX pear and lychee. Lemon and oranges which are healthy in most children can cause cold flu like symptoms; you can observe accordingly.

And about home remedies, Tulsi and neem extracts can be tried. Though there is no clear scientific evidence that they help, anecdotal reports from my patients suggest that they can benefit you.

Hope this helps. Write back if you need clarifications.
If all your questions are answered, please close this discussion.