Ask a Dentist   »  

Infant have blister on bottom lip, red gums and bad breath. Should I visit ER?

Dec 2012

My 11 month baby has blister on her bottom lip. Her breath smell bad and het gums are red around her teeth. Do I need to take her to the Er
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

A visit to the ER is needed for your child if you cannot see your pediatrician within a day . From your description your baby is presenting with signs of infection probably of viral or bacterial origin. The red gums are indicative of gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) due to an infection. The infection might be due to a bacterial infection.
Sampling of the blister ( fluid) and analysis in the laboratory can show the specific type of infection. If the infection is viral, then you just give it a couple of days to clear off. Mouth hygiene with mouth wash solutions is not recommended for 11 months children ( they usually have tendency to swallow the liquid). Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory might be indicated. Seeing a doctor soon is needed so that complications can be avoided.

Hope this helps

Dr Nsah