Infant has ventral hernia and bulging stomach to one side. Is this normal for a baby's stomach?

My six week old baby has a ventral hernia but also his stomach really bulges to one side. Is this normal for the baby's stomach to do that or has it got something to do with the hernia? Also should the hernia be fixed ASAP or will it heal itself without later complications?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
There is not normal any deformities of abdominal wall. In case of pediatric hernias ( especially at his/her age six weeks ) there is the risk of complications. If you will note respiratory disturbances, vomiting, change in skin colour and temperature, or you child will cry frequently , then you need ASAP seek medical assistance. In generally any pediatric hernia require treatment ( reduction, surgery ), it can’t be self limited or heal itself. I would recommend you now Pediatric Surgeon consultation , after detailed physical assessment and Imagistic investigation, they will decide right treatment and time.
I wish you and your baby good luck. If you have additional queries , don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,