Infant has strong tendency to develop cold and cough, Was treated for acute bronchial asthma. Again having symptoms

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
my child is 3 yr. 6 months old, he was a caesarean delivery and 3.50 kg birth weight. he was absolutely normal at time of birth. although he had strong tendency to developed cough and cold.
on may 1st 2013 he had an acute episode of bronchial asthma of which he was treated conservatively in PICU . i hav attached his discharge summary and reports for review. he was fine after that, till on 21st aug 2013 he again hav a similar episode but of lesser severity. after that he has been on tab. singular 4 mg and metaspray once daily. and nebulisation by levolin 0.63 mg.
he has a repeat episode tday itself.
my consern is ...are we on right line of management for him & wat else could be done??
PLS GUIDE
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to step up treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
I went through your discharge summary which states that your kid was treated for pulmonary TB for 6 months and that the PICU admission was due to wheezing.
I too beleive this is separate from his past illness.
From what I can understand as allergy asthma specialist I do encounter such kids very often.
Wheezing can start at any age and can be any severity at presentation.
Metaspray is for allergic rhinitis and singular is to decrease his allergies. YOU NEED TO CONTINUE BOTH.
But I usually put such kids on regular inhalers to prevent further attacks.
You can start with budesonide ( thats the same medicine in metaspray ) inhaler at 100mcg per dose twice daily.
Please note that this will not cause any side effects as the dose is in microgram and taking inhaler for a year is equal to 3 days of oral steroids.

You can get allergy testing done from local allergist to find out the trigger factors for this problem, which can be avoided if tested and identified.

Hope I answered your query
Do let me know if I could help further
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Infant has strong tendency to develop cold and cough, Was treated for acute bronchial asthma. Again having symptoms 19 minutes later
sir we stay at dwarka newdelhi. is it possible to consult you in person for our kid?

Answered by Dr. Arun 18 minutes later
Hi
Sorry. I am based in Chennai.
You can find allergy specialist in Delhi who does allergy skin test. There are many who do it example Apollo, etc
You can safely start budesonide inhaler as I had suggested .
Wishing your kid good health

Follow-up: Infant has strong tendency to develop cold and cough, Was treated for acute bronchial asthma. Again having symptoms 10 minutes later
Thank you sir.......

Answered by Dr. Arun 53 minutes later
No problem sir
Dr XXXXXXX