Infant has stomach pains, slimy mucus stool. What does it indicate?

Feb 2013

Hi Doc,
My 5 month 12 days old baby is having stomach pains accompanied by slimy mucous stool. what does mucous tinted slimy stool indicate?Is this an infection? Can this be due to teething?. he cries a lot while having the spasms and when i give him cyclopam df 7 drops he seems to be fine for a while. today he has passed liquid slimy stool 6 times and i am worried he might be dehydrated. This is the second time he is having this stomach infection. Last time i took him to a doctor and she suggested the below medicines.
1. Probiotic - enterogerminina 1 XXXXXXX a day
2. zinc powder 0.5ml - once a day
3, Cyclopam df for tummy pains 3 times a day.

Should i continue with the same medicines this time as well or any other medicine needs to be given to him?
Please suggest if i need to give him an ORS as i am worried after passing liquid stool 6 times he might get dehydrated. Please suggest a name of a pediatric ORS or can i use electral? Also do i need to give him water and how much?

My son is completely on formula lactogen and since few weeks have introduced him to cerelac rice.He seems to have no problems tolerating the rice.

Appreciate your help,
Concerned mom
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the picture you sent.

The stool is loose, slimy and with mucus. It is suggestive of infection. Teething is not related to his slimy, mucus loose stools.

The loose stools are due to infection called gastroenteritis mostly due to a bacteria or virus.

As there are 6 episodes of loose stools, I advise you to give sips ORS like Pedialyte to maintain the hydration of the child.

You can give oral sips of Pedialyte 25 to 50 ml after each loose stool and in between the stools.

Monitor his hydration by activity, urine output, moisture of tongue, oral mucosa, and skin turgor.

You can give enterogermina, zinc orally in the dose as previously prescribed.

You can give water from the start of 6 months. And complimentary feeds like cerelac rice should be started after the completion of 5 months.

I advise you to give the stool for routine, microscopy, and for culture and sensitivity to detect the type of infection and to know the infecting organism and its sensitivity to antibiotics.

As you are giving formula feeds, take stringent precautions while preparing, reconstituting, and feeding.

And I advise you to consult the pediatrician for the physical examination of the child to assess the hydration, stool investigations, and specific treatment like with antibiotic if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Infant has stomach pains, slimy mucus stool. What does it indicate? 8 minutes later
Thanks for the response doc. my son is now 5 months 12 days old, and while i give him 1 spoon of cerelac rice in the morning along with it i also give him 20-30ml water as well. Do i need to stop giving him the water? i thought the rice cereal will make him thirsty. Since he is passing the stools today i have not given him his rice. should i give him rice today or hold off till the infection subsides?i will give him the pedialyte as you suggested.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

You can continue giving cerelac rice and water as he has completed 5 months of age.

No need to stop giving water.

From 6 months onward with the start of cerelac rice (complimentary feeds), water can be given to the child for drinking.

You can give rice today and be careful while preparing his feeds.

Keep on giving sips of Pedialyte ORS to maintain the hydration of the child in addition to enterogermina and zinc.

Consult the pediatrician for further management.

Wish your son a speedy recovery.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to get back.