Infant has rashes, worsens in heat, itching, redness. Should I use calamine lotion?

Dermatologist
Question

My 7 month old has very strong rashes that are not going away. It gets especially worse when its hot in the house. It starts with an itch, then he keeps scratching and it turns red. The areas affected are his cheeks (from biting his toys) and his chin (from his drool). We just had a visit to the physician but she said that he's fine but I'm not comfortable with the answer. His rashes have been lasting a few months now and we are reluctant to continue using hydrocortisone as it is a steroid. I've thought about calamine lotion but I've received a 50/50 yes no on using the product. Please advise.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Ive gone through your query and photos.
Rash you are describing can be irritant reaction to saliva.

You can safely apply good quality calamine lotion over it.

Keep the peri oral area dry.

You can safely apply calamine lotion twice a day.

Keep the affected area clean and dry.

If you need further assistance please let me know.

DrSudarshan
Dermatologist

Follow-up: Infant has rashes, worsens in heat, itching, redness. Should I use calamine lotion? 5 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX We think it is the saliva as well and I only thought about calamine lotion because I used it growing up in Asia. Now that we are in the US, calamine lotion is not as popular and because he's only 7 months old, I want to make sure that there are no side effects to using it.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 minutes later
Hi again,

Calamine lotion is very safe. It can be applied even in newborn baby.

Please apply it twice daily in small quantity.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Infant has rashes, worsens in heat, itching, redness. Should I use calamine lotion? 2 minutes later
Thanks again Dr XXXXXXX we will try your suggestions and update you on the status.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 hours later
Hi again,

If you are satisfied with the answer please accept the answer and rate it at the end.

Dr XXXXXXX