Infant has lose motions in dark green color. Done stool RE, urine RE and routine. What to be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
regarding MY KIDS HEALTH CONDITION ; she is 6months old female having 6.5ks. for the last 12 days she is having loose motion with dark XXXXXXX color. dr has suggeste stool RE , urine RE & routine. in day she has mor that 7-8 time motion . as per the culture report organisam isoleted ESCH.coli . Colny count 0000cfu/ml.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

Your daughter is suffering from bacterial diarrhea. This is common in this age due to frequent mouthing of fingers or other articles by infants or starting of solid foods apart from breast milk.

The treatment given is appropriate according to the sensitivity of the organism i.e. ‘E.coli’ bacteria.

I understand your concern for the number of loose motions. But sometimes it might take 4 -5 days for the given antibiotics to be effective.

So do not worry. I would suggest the following measures:
1. First and most important is to maintain the baby’s hydration by feeding the baby frequently.
2. For increasing the gut immunity child can be given probiotics like lactobacillus spores in any form like ‘Enterogermina’ or ‘Nutrolin-b’ as per your doctor’s prescription.
3. Sometimes zinc and multivitamins syrup help in faster resolution of diarrhea. You may use them after discussing with your pediatrician.

Please do not worry. Changing antibiotics to stronger antibiotics - oral or injections might be needed if symptoms get worse.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.