Infant has large red bumps on various parts of body. No fever. How to remove this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Red bumps my 6 and a half month old baby boy has a few red bumps on various places on his body. Some are large and hard. he does not seem to be running a fever. And they don't seem to be bothering him but he does seem more tired than usual. he has been constipated the past day or so. What might these bumps be? And how do I get rid of them? They almost seem like spider bites or mosquito bites. He only has about 5 of them.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

Which parts of the body, the red bumps are located?

If they are present on exposed parts like hands and legs mostly they are due to insect bites like mosquito or spider bites.

Usually immediately after insect bite, there will be no bump, but it will develop after some time due to allergic skin reaction.

You can apply bland lotion like calamine for soothing effect on skin.

Usually tiredness occurs as a preceding event in children having fever.

Monitor his temperature with a thermometer and make a chart.

For constipation (if he passing hard stool), you can give plenty of oral fluids, dietary fiber XXXXXXX foods like mashed vegetables, mashed fruits on daily basis.

In spite of dietary measure, if he is continuing to have constipation oral stool softeners like lactulose syrup can be given after doctor advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant has large red bumps on various parts of body. No fever. How to remove this? 8 hours later
most of the bumps are on his left arm. his eyes look slightly red and he seems tired. my wife's cousin had mono and was not too close to him but in the same room still and may have touched his clothes. is this possible at 6.5 months? if so, what should we do to help him if it is mono?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query,

As most of the bumps are on his left arm only, they are looking like some insect bites.

Whereas in mono, the rash is usually not confined to one limb.

And the mono usually spread in intimate contacts like child to child through the saliva.

Spread through the clothes is unusual and the mono in infants and children is clinically silent.

And allergy may present like skin bumps and red eyes.

So I advise you to consult your Pediatrician, to get examined your child skin bumps and the proper evaluation and the treatment.

Regards.