Infant has high fever, cough like croup, dry skin and redness, bloodshot eyes, vomited. What is wrong?

my son is 21 months. temperature spiking to 103.4F 2 days ago. Giving paracetamol and ibuprofen every 3 hours alternating. Has a cough that sounded like croup initially but is now softer but seems to come in spasms. Has vomited twice in the last 72 hours, and is having diarrhoea. Temperature increases every 3/4 hours if we dont give medicine to reduce. Is on clomamox antibiotic for nearly 72 hours. Was refusing all fluids earlier today but has since taken milk and kept it down. Has a few red marks on face but nowhere else. Almost like dry skin but XXXXXXX red in colour. Not itchy. He is very lively in the 2/3 hours after he has received medicine to reduce the temperature. When his temperature XXXXXXX to over 103F his eyelids were heavy, eyes bloodshot, was drawing in his stomach to breath and was trembling. Caused by high temp I assume? This was one of the occasions that he vomited. He is very wheezy overall. We dont know exactly how high his temp would reach as we've been proactively managing it. Please help, what is wrong. No interest in solid food.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A fever of 103.4 F with vomiting, loss of appetite and cough are indicative of systemic infection- most likely in the upper respiratory tract.
Since he is already taking antibiotics for last 72 hours without any significant improvement, It is high time to consult his pediatrician for a detailed examination.
It is advisable to first have the investigations for fever like ESR, complete blood count, blood culture, blood test for malarial parasite, widal test, x-ray chest or sonography to exclude any of the pathologies associated with fever.

Till that time, keep him well hydrated and make him wear cotton clothes and have a diet XXXXXXX in vitamins and minerals like soups, broths etc.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr Rakhi