Infant has high bilirubin level. Phototherepy done. Noticed yellow skin color on face. Worrisome

my baby has bilirubin level high since birthdear sir I need ur help regarding my baby boy who born on 23 rd XXXXXXX . immediately after birth shifted to nicu coz mother have gestational blood sugar , her sugar levels now ok . my boy get blood reports on 24th XXXXXXX total bilirubin 9.6 . doctor started phototherepy sigle side . bilirubin goes high 14.4 on 26 XXXXXXX , now doctor started double side phototherepy. on 27 XXXXXXX slightly goes down to 14.1 after that doctor stopped phototherepy on 28jan , now on 29 XXXXXXX bilirubin goes to 17.3 so doctor started phototherepy again and on 30 XXXXXXX level go down to 13.3 after that phototherepy stopped on 1st Feb and on 3rd feb level goes to 13.5 . my boy has ABO incompatibility . his born weight was 3086 gm but he is now 2870 gm . his activity are good nothing abnormal. doctor on 3feb stop breast milk for 2 days . according to me face of my boy going yellow day by day. need ur help what should I do and help me to best child hospital in
India . thank u
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Hello dear,
I understand your concern.

Your baby is suffering from pathological jaundice.

The cause for this is ABO incompatibility.

One thing I can assure you, your baby is improving a lot.

Bilirubin level of around 14 is not very high for a newborn, so just shed off your worries.

The treatment is physiotherapy and in between stopping and restarting breastfeeding, which the doctor is already doing.

Please ask the treating doctor, do they have facility of blood transfusion available.

As the baby may need a transfusion.

Regarding change of hospital, please rely on the doctor, he is giving correct treatment.

The baby must be kept under light therapy; you cannot take ham here and there.

Feel free to ask, if you have further queries.

I would like to know the progress of your baby. Keep me posted.

Wishing the baby a good health.

Thank you

Follow-up: Infant has high bilirubin level. Phototherepy done. Noticed yellow skin color on face. Worrisome 3 hours later
dear sir after I was send u query , my son refuses and vomiting to take formula milk so doctor put him on drip , doctor said we will remove drip when he start taking formula milk . I want to ask u one more thing that when doctor start thinking about blood transfusion.?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 8 minutes later
Usually newborns are not able to take formula feed, as they are not used to taking food from a spoon.
So tube feeding is a good option till he is strong enough to take orally. Transfusion is only the last resort when the baby does not respond to light therapy. Don't worry. Hopefully, it will not be required.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Infant has high bilirubin level. Phototherepy done. Noticed yellow skin color on face. Worrisome 2 days later
sir today doctor told to do blood test BILIRUBIN LEVEL 13.7 sgot sgpt in normal range RBC 2.87 Hb 9.8 and platelets count 883 is this abnormal or it is coz of jaundice and ABO incompatibility. I need ur help in breef. on 3rd feb bilirubin was 13.5 RBC 3.87 Hb 11.0 and platelets 593.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 16 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

The reports show that
1. Liver is normal
2. Platelet normal
3. Bilirubin though still high but still under control.
4. Hb slightly low.

The above reports show that the baby is doing well.
You dont need to worry.

The most important thing is bilirubin control.
Reports show that it is under control.
Don't worry about Hb. Hemolysis occurs in all the babies, a few days after birth.
Due to ABO incompatibility, it is bit more in your baby and hence Hb is low. In few days your baby's Hb will normalize.

I dont think there will be need of transfusion.

Your baby will recover.

Thank you.