Infant has green poop frequently, no fever. Is it normal?

6 week old baby has green poop frequently.. no fever..not crying..other wise playful baby..weight 4.25...
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 7 minutes later

Thank you for addressing your child's problem here on XXXXXXX I am Dr. Taher. Congratulations on the new arrival in your family.

Small infants tend to pass bowels almost with or after EVERY FEED. As the child is six weeks old, he/she must be feeding at least every 3 hours, so a frequency of six stools or eight stools per day is normal. I do not know exactly how dark the green colour of his/her stool is, but if the colour is greenish yellow, then again, there is no problem. The normal baby's stools look like a collection of small lumps and smell of milk/curd with no offensive smell. A little water may be passed with the stool matter or just after it. The child does not scream or cry when passing the stools.

If your baby meets the above guidelines, is feeding with normal vigour, is sleeping well, along with normal urination and good weight gain, you should stop worrying.

Hope this helps. If you have any further doubts, do let me know or message me on my cell phone and I will get back to you.

Wishing you the best of parenting,

Dr. Taher