Infant has fever, fussiness, and diarrhea. Should I contact the doctor?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a 5 week 1 day old baby with a rectal temp of 99.4 with fussiness and diarrhea. Should I contact her Dr. for an appointment or is it nothing to worry about?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 31 minutes later
A rectal temperature of 99.4 would be considered normal for the newborn .
Usually fussiness in newborns could be due to bloating or gaseous distension , if your baby is passing frequent loose stools ( diarrhoea ) it's definitely worth visiting her pediatrician for confirmation ( whether viral or bacterial gastroenteritis ) and appropriate management .
Most diarrhoeas in babies are self limiting and if adequate hydration is maintained then it should resolve on its own or with supportive therapy in 3-4 days .

If the diarrhoea is worsening or baby develops high fever, decreased urination , excessive crying or refusal to feed then you should consult her doctor immediately .
As of now you should most importantly keep her well hydrated with frequent breastfeeding ( on demand) and monitor her temperature and stool frequency .
At the same time you should get an appointment as soon as feasible to get a confirmation of the diagnosis & appropriate treatment like zinc and probiotic supplements if needed.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.