Infant has fever and rashes on thigh. Found low white cell count. Bone marrow disorder?

my 14 month old daughter was seen at the pediatrician for a rash on her thigh, she has also been very fussy and had a diaper rash, and a fever 2 days before. The doctor said it was petechiae and did a CBC. Her platelets were fine, but her white count was low. They said they would check it again at her 15 month check. She just in the past day developed a very subtle limp and I will be taking her back to the doctor soon. I am concerned it is something much worse, and dont know how concerned i should be that she has a bone marrow disorder.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 minutes later
Thank you for your query.Please do not panic.
Some viral fevers can reduce leukocyte counts.
Bone marrow examination is only warranted if the child is sick and two of her major blood counts are decreased (like RBC and WBC or WBC and Platelets).
Your doctor is correct in repeating the counts after 1 month.
Please do not be frightened.Get your baby checked by your pediatrician.
I suspect that your baby had a viral fever and has some myalgia for which she is limping.With pain killers and rest she should be OK.
Hope this answers your query.
If you have any other queries kindly direct them to me.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.