Infant has dry barking cough, fever, runny nose. Cough is not getting cure. What to do?

our 18 month boy has had a dry barking cough for over 10 days, he started with a cold about 2 weeks ago, he had a fever then his cough started, his nose is running. He has no fever now, the mucus from his nose is clear in colour. The cough does not seem to be clearing should we take him to our local doctor or is this normal. He is not having any trouble breathing but the cough is quite loud and barking
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I am sorry to know that your young kid is suffering a lot.
Your son is probably suffering from upper respiratory tract infection.

Though there is no productive cough but some irritation in his airway or may be bronchiolitis.
Probably it is viral or allergic type.

I consider an antihistamine & a bronchodilator should be given.
Otherwise it may be complicated to pneumonia.

It is better for you to take him to a physician & get examine.

Hope I have been some help of your query.