Infant has creamy watery stools. Is it because of consuming food that is not generally fed?

My 10 month old has had creamy watery stools for three days. Sent home from day care because of it, but is eating normally and still his jolly self. Should I be concerned. I did feed him some baby food spagettos three days ago which is not what he normally eats. That would be the only difference in food. He hasn't been any where new.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 5 minutes later

Your child seems to be suffering from diarrhea. In children, it is usually caused by gastrointestinal (GI) infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites which he can catch from anywhere. Most likely it is viral diarrhea.

The main motive of treatment is prevention of dehydration. Preventing or treating dehydration in infants focuses on replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this.

You can give oral rehydration treatments (such as Pedialyte or Infalyte) and they are available over the counter in pharmacies. Re hydration fluids have a brief shelf life. Once a bottle has been opened or a mix prepared, it must be used or thrown out within 24 hours, because bacteria rapidly grow in the solution.

If he is behaving normal and has normal appetite, then there is nothing much to worry about. Gradually give BRAT diet (i.e. bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet and whitegrape juice.

If the stools are frequent and he does not improve, kindly visit a Pediatrician for evaluation as he might require prescription medications.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.