Infant has bruise on lower back and neck. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My 9 month old has a bruise on her lower back near her tail bone, and now I noticed that there is also bruising goin towards her neck. She has no pain. Should I be worried. And is it cause by her laying down.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 39 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

If it present since birth, it could be mongolian spots.It is a benign, flat, congenital birthmark with wavy borders and irregular shape.The most common color is blue, although they can be blue-gray, blue-black or even XXXXXXX brown.Sometimes be mistaken for a bruise.
You need not to worry, it normally disappears three to five years after birth and almost always by puberty.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing your baby good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Follow-up: Infant has bruise on lower back and neck. Should I be concerned? 51 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your reply.
She's had that bruise since birth on her lower back, but the bruising is now
Going up her back( half way) and that's what am worried about. It's getting bigger.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Thanks for asking again.

Appearing either at birth, or in the first week of life, mongolian spots appear to grow or spread.
Do not worry as the spots themselves are perfectly harmless.
If you are in doubt, consult your doctor who will be able to diagnose the marks with greater accuracy.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Whishing your child a better health.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.