Infant has Gastric issues and vomits. Given domistrol and colic aid but has loose motion. Advise?

Feb 2013

My Daughter is 5 months old, she is facing Gastric issues, because of which she vomits alot. I gace domistrol / colic aid but now she has started loose motion. With gas passing she is passing stool
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Her gastric issues and frequent vomitings may be due to gastro esophageal reflux which is a common problem in most of the kids till the age of 6 months.

Is she on exclusive breast feeding?

What is the frequency of loose stools?

Is the stool is foul smelling or containing mucus?

If there are vomitings, you can continue to give domstal drops every 8 th hourly in prescribed dose.

Loose stools are due to some infection like a virus.

For loose stools, an oral probiotic like econorm XXXXXXX or sporolac XXXXXXX can be given once daily after mixing in water or expressed breast milk. Oral zinc can be added in prescribed dose to improve gut immunity and to prevent recurrent diarrhea.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain and monitor the hydration of the child.

You can give sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte to maintain hydration.

Breast feeds can be given frequently to XXXXXXX the thirst of the kid.

Monitor hydration status of the child by her activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moist tongue and oral cavity.

Consult the pediatrician for assessment of the child and for prescription of medication for her loose stools.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know in the follow up query along with the details I have asked.

Follow-up: Infant has Gastric issues and vomits. Given domistrol and colic aid but has loose motion. Advise? 13 minutes later
She is not on breast feed, as breast milk production gets stopped automatically when she was a month old. prior that also.. breast milk was enough for her and we always gave the single tonned milk to her. I tried couple of formula milk like NAN Pro, Lectogen etc. but none of them suited her.

Frequency of loose stool is in every 2 hours and its is foul smelling.First two time I saw few small red lines, seems blood but not sure, but third time there was no such line.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 52 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Diarrhea is uncommon in exclusively breastfed infants because of anti-infective properties of mother milk.

Be careful in maintaining strict hygiene while preparing and feeding the child with top feeds.

Avoid bottle feeding. Feeds can be given using cup and spoon.

Continue to give sips of Pedialyte (ORS) to maintain hydration and monitor her hydration.

You can start oral probiotic and zinc with pediatrician prescription.

Stool can be given for routine examination, microscopy, and for culture and sensitivity to look for presence and type of infection.

If the loose stools are due to a bacterial infection, oral antibiotic course can be given with the doctor advise.

Therefore I advise you to consult her pediatrician for examination, stool investigations, and specific medication advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.