Infant had infection in blood and stool, had pus in ear. After antibiotics was given cefixime, taxim and Maxtra

Feb 2013

I have a 21 days old child. In the last week he had some infection in the blood and stool due to which he was having pus in his right ear. After being treated in the hospital for 4 days through anti-biotics we went for the regular follow-up today. The paediatrician has prescribed the following medicines:

Cefixime oral suspension IP
Taxim - O
Maxtra P

Can you help me with the exact use of these medicines? What purpose do they serve?

Thanks in advance, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Taxim-O is brand name and it contains cefixime.

Cefixime is an antibiotic and it is given in your child to treat the ear infection and infection of stool as a follow up medication switching from intravenous antibiotics to oral antibiotic.

Cefixime is given to fight with the bacteria causing the ear and stool infection.

Maxtra-P contains chlorpheniramine maleate and paracetamol and the purpose of this drugs are to treat cold, nasal congestion, and fever associated with the ear infection.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.