Infant got head injury. Large bump appeared and used ice on it. Any suggestion?

My 18 month old banged his head on the edge of the end table. There is no bleeding but he has about a 1/4 raised bump that is about an inch long. He cried for only a few minutes. We tried to put ice on it but that starts him crying, we take the ice off and he stops. He did this just before bedtime and we aren't sure whether or not to put him to bed
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You have taken the right steps and nothing else needs to be done. You can put him to bed and need not worry. If the bump is still increasing in size then you can apply ice intermittently. The bump shall take nearly a week to subside and you should not get worried.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.