Infant frequently passing urine. Urine analysis showed traces of albumin. What does it mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
my baby is one month old, frequently passing urine . the urine analysis shows that the ph is 6 and the traces of albumin in the urine . what does that indicate
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more details of the child.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The normal values of urine pH is between 4.6 to 8.0.

Presence of traces of albumin is suggestive of presence of trace amounts of protein in the urine. This is not clinically significant. This may be seen normal children or with presence of urine infection.

It is usually normal thing in a 1 month old baby to pass urine frequently.

But passing urine in excess amounts leading to loss of weight, dehydration, or any sickness in the child is significant and suggestive of some underlying problem.

Is any decreased weight of the child?

Is child having any signs of dehydration?

What was the birthweight and present weight?

Why the urine test is ordered for?

Is the child having any swelling of body?

There are some conditions associated with excessive urination like diabetes, diabetes insipidus, and some kidney problems. In this problems there is associated dehydration, decreased weight, abnormal blood sugar and electrolytes on tests.

So urine pH of 6 and presence of trace amounts of albumin is not suggestive of a significant clinical problem, but these values to be correlated with the child symptoms.

Therefore I advise you to send the above details of the child to advise you in a better way.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant frequently passing urine. Urine analysis showed traces of albumin. What does it mean? 21 hours later
I am answering your questions

Is any decreased weight of the child?: NO the baby's weight has increased from 3 kgs to 4 kgs

Is child having any signs of dehydration?: we do not see any signs of dehydration but he is passing urine in large quntities

What was the birthweight and present weight?bith weight 2.95 kgs and present weight after 37 days is 4 kgs

Why the urine test is ordered for? we have consulted pediatrician and he asked us to get the urine test done

Is the child having any swelling of body? : I do not see any swelling but rashes developed on the body and I have been told that it is oil allergy by the pediatrician

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Be in follow up with your pediatrician.

Detailed Answer:

It is good to hear that the child is gaining weight normally and there are no signs of dehydration. In this situation it is better to know whether the child is really passing large amounts of urine (polyuria) by collecting a 24 hour urine sample and to look for medical conditions associated with polyuria by investigations.

Some times over dilution of formula feeds or top feeds may the reason for passing large quantity of urine. This will not happen with babies who are exclusively on breast feeds.

If the child is receiving any top feeds, look for appropriate and proper reconstitution of feeds.

Excessive urination in large quantity is called polyuria, but this usually confirmed by measuring the volume of urine that is passed in a 24 hour duration.

Whereas it is difficult to collect a 24 hour total urine in infants. But it can be done by collecting urine with the use of XXXXXXX condoms or weighing diapers pre and post void and totaling their weight.

The common cause of frequent urination is presence of urine infection and this can be ruled out by doing urine complete examination and urine for culture and sensitivity.

The other causes for excessive urination are diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. In this there will be decrease in the weight and the child will have signs of dehydration and sickness. These can be ruled out by testing blood for sugar, urine for sugar, serum electrolytes, serum and urine osmolality.

Kidney problems will be ruled out by doing an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

Therefore I suggest you to be in follow up with your pediatrician to evaluate for the causes by clinical examination and investigations if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.