Infant fell off bed, fever, blinking hard, eyes crossing, getting tired. Is everything okay?

Have a 8 month old girl she fell off bed 7days bruising everything appeared normal but 2 days ago she started running a 101.5 temp and blinking really hard off and on mostly when she was getting tired it seamed and today her eyes were crossing right after she blinked 3 or 4 times over a 2hour span...checked her temp about 1 hour ago and is at 97.6 now...but was doing the eyes crossing thing about 3 hours ago and she is tired not sure if its just a cold going around or if the fall did something to her head and just starting to see signs or what??? everything ok or do I need to take her to hospital
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 42 minutes later

From what I understand your child (8 months) is suffering from fever since 2 days and eye symptoms started since then. She had a fall 7 days ago and was apparently normal before fever and eye symptoms started. As per this description, the eye symptoms are mostly likely associated with fever.

Eye symptoms are more common during fever especially in pediatric patients. They are generally harmless and subside with fever. If the temperature is continuously / intermittently high for more than 3 days, I would recommend a visit to her pediatrician for clinical examination and evaluation.

In the meantime, monitor her symptoms closely. Temperature can be recorded round the clock. I hope you are giving her paracetamol syrups (such as tylenol). Paracetamol can be administered every 6 - 8 hours depending on her needs. You can also consider XXXXXXX warm sponging during acute rise in temperature.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing your child good health.

Dr. Vidya KR