Infant dripped socks in toilet. Took bath and had food. Should I be worried for any infection?

Pediatrician, Surgery
After dinner I went up stairs to my bedroom. I smelt strong smell of urine and figured I hadn't flushed the toilet. I saw wet socks on top of the toilet seat and saw urine in the toilet when I lifted the toilet seat up. I know my 19 month old dipped the socks in there and took them out. My concern is we had finished dinner without his hands being washed. He had taken a bath before dinner so my husband thinks he will be fine. Should I worry? What should I looked for? Embarrassingly enough, I think the urine may have been in there for a few hours or more.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 1 hour later
Thank you for placing your query on Health Care Magic.

Did your son take a bath after dipping the socks or before? If he has taken a bath later, I don't think there is anything to worry at all.
In the other case too, I do not think you should worry too much. Firstly, stool is the carrier of most of the harmful pathogens and not urine. Secondly, someone in your family needs to be infected with a disease or needs to be a carrier of a disease, which is transmitted through stool in order to infect anyone else. In addition, you have not mentioned any such thing.

Therefore, your son catching a disease like this is unlikely.

However if you still have to look out for some symptoms, they would be fever, vomiting, diarrhea and pain in the tummy. They would appear within a week at the most. However, I do not think you should worry too much.

In case he develops any such symptoms, consult your pediatrician.

Hope that helps.
God bless you.

Dr Anand Sinha
MS General Surgery
MCh Pediatric Surgery