Infant crying badly for unknown reason. Advised to take Crophen. Is it safe?

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor, my 2 months baby crying too much for unknown reason is advised for Crophen 60 ml SoS. Is it safe..for 2 months old baby..
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is not a safe drug in 2 months old baby.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Crophen contains paracetamol and promethazine.

Promethazine causes excessive drowsiness and some times respiratory depression in small children especially below the age of 2 years.

So it is not a safe medication in infants around the age of 2months. I personally don't advice this drug to my patients.

The excessive crying in a 2 months old child is mostly due to evening colic. It is a common problem in small kids and Colic aid drops in prescribed dose is sufficient to tackle the colic.

In addition to Colic aid oral drops, gentle massage on tummy and holding the kid tummy against mother shoulder will give relief from coilc pain.

And the colic is a benign problem which settles down by the age of 3 months.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.